Wednesday, March 10, 2010

leaving and other new things


So, I'm moving to Asia for a year.
The plan has been in motion since New Years, but it is only now starting to hit me. I'm nervous. I know I can be in contact with important people, (Skype is definitely on the way to verbdom), and I know I will enjoy myself and appreciate the experience - how could I not? 
New has always proved to be a good thing. But still - the anticipation is like digesting a ball of tinfoil.
New is also something I haven't done in a while. And I think that's the problem. Luckily, it's also something the earth hasn't done in a while.
It makes it feel ok.
I went on the muddiest, snowiest sweaty hike yesterday. Wintery snow and dead plant life still loom, but blooms and buds and other new things are popping up and the sun is getting warmer. 
It was probably the worst possible day to do such a thing, the second 50+ degree day only weeks after 2 snowpocolypses (snowpocolypsai?) covered the tri-state area. I went to be in nature, whatever that means, and by the end of the 2.6 miles I was exhausted from steadying myself on sheets of shaded ice and my toes were swimming in sopping wet socks inside fully saturated boots. It was gross. But I felt renewed and stronger.
It reminded me that most people can do a lot more than they think they can, that you should follow your heart and that pushing yourself promotes growth. It's all in the getting up and doing.
It's all about perseverance now - I think better days are ahead. Winter can't last forever!




(Joni is a conduit)
Just a little green
Like the color when the spring is born
There'll be crocuses to bring to school tomorrow
Just a little green
Like the nights when the Northern lights perform
There'll be icicles and birthday clothes
And sometimes there'll be sorrow

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

perseverance!!!!! xo