Friday, March 26, 2010

Cash Cab - now you know.


Cash Cab is easily one of the most addicting tv game shows on, and although that claim is based on the opinion of someone who watches no other game shows. . .  it is, isn't it!? So, today, I am going to research the secret behind the elusive cab.
I cannot handle surprises, or magic tricks, or not knowing in general. I like to have the answers to all the questions my brain pokes itself with. Hence, my severe affection for Google.


link1: ABOUT.COM: is cash cab real?
Here, I learned that Ben Bailey, a comedian by trade, is actually a cab driver, having passed all the necessary tests. The cab is a real cab. Oh, and this:
"If you've watched the end credits of the show closely, you've seen the line, "Some contestants have been pre-screened prior to their appearance on the show." This opens up a whole can of worms that leads to all kinds of rumors and assumptions."
So, most contestants - most, not all, according to About - know that they are going to be on a game show. They take a quiz and pass it, then are told they will be getting picked up to go to the show. TA-DA, Cash Cab arrives. Must account for the surprised faches. I also learned that he has an earpiece in, so he knows the questions and answers and all sorts of other info without  taking his eyes off the road.

link2: MEDIABISTRO.COM: how to get on cash cab
One of my favorite sites. They offer a first hand account. There is no way to really test the validity, but I trust mediabistro. Here's a snippet:
"Without giving away too much, I was a contestant on the Cash Cab in late May, 2006. There was a screener that approached my group talking about a "Reality show" and how we were just what they were looking for. We were inside a bar at South Street Seaport and kind of in the bag at the time. After the front company arranges a spot for us to get a ride to the destination of the reality show, Ben's cab convienently shows up. There is quite a bit that is cut out during the taping, I guess to keep the show at a "G" rating. I was told that it is 50/50 random/staged pick-up (I am thinking nighttime is random)"
Also, learned that the money he hands the contestants is fake. They get mailed a check.

FINALLY, an interview with Ben Bailey from the Daily News: 7 questions for cash cab host
Eeenteresting:
What rules wouldn't the average rider know about?
There's a law that if I make eye contact with a customer, and it's understood between us that I'm going to pick them up, I can't pick anyone else up.

No comments: