Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Autumn

First of all, in my brain, favorites do not exist. The whole concept of placing one thin above all others elludes me.
That being said,
There are more than a few reasons I love Autumn, (including the word itself, the letters look beautiful together, and i could REALLY do without "fall".. . . that should be reserved for the leaves, they deserve it) but this affection has only recently begun. I'm not sure if five years in New Paltz, undoubtedly at its peak between September and November, has had any influence on this change of heart. Maybe I am finally disassociating the crisp air with itchy, pleated flannel uniforms. Or maybe as I age, &time quickens, i can recognize the earth's consistent, delicate balance of hot&cold, life&death, light&dark. Each season has beauty, but each season is merely a fraction. They are individual, but are also nothing without eachother. So, Sept 1, when i woke up to a cold nose and a SERIOUS urge to cocoon myself in blankets for another 2 or 3 hours, my first thought (ok, second, i was freezing & had to pee) was "AWESOME. Something new. This is fleeting. I love this planet." Before we know it, it will be Winter. Then Spring. Then Summer. So for the next 4 or 5 weeks, I will be high on Autumn.
&I'll probably find some way to leap into a pile of leaves somewhere.
<3
More to come..

No comments: