Tuesday, February 23, 2010

empathy, part deux.

How funny life is .. 
Just 24 hours ago, I was complaining about the weight of empathy, of feeling the depth of the  emotions of the people you love. 
Man I feel like an asshole.
One of my best friends, and one of the best people I know, gave birth to the most beautiful little girl today. When I saw them, my soul nearly burst at the seams, joy was literally being pumped through my aorta. 
That being said,
I'm not completely taking back my previous post. When you are constantly being brought down by a person or people who you care about, who you you cannot help because they are not at the point where they want, or are willing to accept, help, empathy can seem like the worst fucking thing in the world. It makes you want to hop on a plane and never look back.
But I was totally wrong to banish the gift of empathy. Like most blessings, like ALL things, it isn't perfect. But in the end, a life without empathy is a life without love and joy. It is a life without the ability to share a moment with the people you couldn't be without. 
What was I thinking!?

1 comment:

Meg said...

attitude of gratitude works wonders. :}